Saturday, May 30, 2015

Breaking News!!! NICE is mediocrity and Hypocrisy


What is good, what is bad; I often ask myself. What is nice and sincerely how nice can one be, if we are to go by your definition. Any day, time or place Man is first selfish; there is an overwhelming Natural force that compels men to think about SELF first before neighbors. (I cant really place my hand round this, but one is apt to consider the need of self and family first before an outsider), science have time without number told us that resources are scarce; for the most part this has affected our personal culture or socialization, so that even if my neighbor is dying of cold, I won’t give my blanket, because its one I have and I can feel the cold too. Of course it sounds logical, even the bible advises us to love our neighbor as ourselves, the same way if am very hungry, I eat what is available without thinking if my neighbor has had anything to eat since yesterday, logically I have not offended any laws whether here or beyond, so i deserve to breathe some free air and still enjoy the benefits of humanity.

What would you say if I give my blanket & food or share them with my neighbor, how would you perceive me? That am a Nice guy or Christian or Good man? What if i did it so that, i receive the same gesture from the receiver, or I did it to receive a reward from God or I did it to gain favour or trust from my neighbor? The big question is what would you think of me, if you found out what my intentions were for my gestures? Frantically a great deal of the human population do things for a reason, many a reason cannot sincerely be considered as great or inspiring or modeled after. Today Nice, Good, Bad are titles bestowed on everyday folks by everyday folks for reward or request or judgment of favour or compromise or dis-favour respectively. These titles are not earned free in the real sense of it. But what is my business with intentions of gestures, of course the more good and nice gestures we have, the more the world is a better place. But the truth is that however you look at it, good or bad is relative, so no matter what I do, it depends how you perceive it.  

If the above is the case, then one would wonder why the world is not yet a better place, maybe because the intentions for these gestures is followed by expectations, expectations that are become burdens for the recipients and hope for the giver of the gestures. What happens if these expectations are not met or delayed? So imagine, I give a beggar sitting on the side of the road some money, with intentions of obeying the bible by doing my neighbor good so that I can receive tenfold blessing from God in a near future, and in a near future I don’t receive this blessing in the form I expected it, what would be my reaction in the future when a beggar approaches me and actively engages me in a discussion so as to receive money from me, I bet i would not be motivated to repeat this gestures, yet gestures repeated is what is needed to make the world a better place.


However if you notice me giving the beggar the money, you will be inclined to tag me a nice guy, even the beggar will give me this title. He wouldn`t care what my intentions are, since am interested in making his life better, at that point is he not selfish? If I have an intention, am I not selfish? To lead an ideal Life, to be relevant to humanity one must be careful with gestures, intentions and expectations; these forces have the ability to bring to zero whatever gestures are made. Imagine when the intentions for gestures are genuine Love; imagine what the world will be like. To Love genuinely and act accordingly is to be Godly, to be Righteous, to be relevant to humanity, to lead an ideal life. To be Nice is to be a Mediocre or Hypocrite. Strive to be Right, be the right guy, not the nice guy. 

No comments: